weight where are you is a right weight to be at

By saber32 Latest Activity October 27, 2011 at 12:30 am Views 994 Replies 11 Likes 4

saber32

my weght is 290 im at 6 1 I am keep bounceing from 150 to 290 some weeks i lose a lot of weight and other I gain it all back i play baseball hockey ride my bike for 45 mins i walk 3 hours i just do not understand why i am gaining weight insted loseing more

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (11 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Tracy
    Tracy April 19, 2012 at 8:32 am   

saber - I have to ask, have you been evaluated for a sleep disorder like sleep apnea?

Here is my story/reason for asking.
    When I married at age 19, I weighed 118 lbs and was very active. By the time I was 26 I had 2 children and had gained up to nearly 200 lbs…by the time I was 35 the scales revealed a weight of 297 when I got my dx of sleep apnea.

During those years, I attemped to lose weight via exercise and diets…every diet you could think of! My weight yo yo was a nightmare and even frustrated my doctors who knew I was walking treadmills, doing water aerobics and following diets they recommended. Body aches, headaches, and depression finally got the best of me - I kind of gave up - why bother to diet and exercise if I cannot lose weight or even if I lose, it just comes back quickly.

Come to find out at age 35 I had severe sleep apnea…never heard of a sleep disorder, let alone sleep apnea. By then I was like a zombie - slept a lot but never felt alert or refreshed. Finally a sleep doctor explained to me that apnea and weight gain become a vicious cycle - the more weight you gain, the worse the apnea gets - the worse the apnea gets, the more weight you gain. Weight alone does not CAUSE sleep apnea, but it can make it worse. Most of us who have apnea were born with it, but it waits until after puberty to rear its ugly head - because - this is when our tongue, jaw etc reach their full size. For me, my tongue is too wide for my jaw and so it falls back during sleep and blocks my airway…it did it when I was 118 lbs but not severe enough to be noticed …it IS WHEN I STARTED SNORING THOUGH…

The sleep doc also explained to me that when one has untreated sleep apnea which does not allow us to cycle through the sleep stages properly, our sleep is not restorative…we don't spend enough time in delta sleep, the "heal and repair" stage. Also, our bodies are deprived of the proper oxygen we need to function. When we are sleep deprived, our bodies cry out for energy any way it can get them…caffeine, nicotine, sugars and carbs…which makes sense why so many of us crave carbs and sugar…thus weight gain and a worsening of apnea.

Most doctors who treat apnea patients ask them to get cpap compliant BEFORE they start a true vigorous diet and exercise program. There need be a return of energy AND oxygen AND quality restorative sleep before weight loss and better overall health can be safely achieved. The worse the apnea gets, the more likely one might develop high blood pressure or heart palpitations or other heart problems.

Just sayin that it might be good to have a discussion with your doctor about screening for sleep apnea…at least rule it out for sure. Yo yo dieting is so bad for the metabolism too…and that takes a long time to turn around!

best wishes to ya!

• pleaseingly plump
    pleaseingly plump April 25, 2012 at 2:06 pm   

Thanks Tracy you helped me out a lote i guess i'll be the only one who wont be eating a lot of starches to nite god bless

• jayabee52
    jayabee52 October 30, 2011 at 10:12 pm   

I believe I have suggested to you on DC that perhaps you ought to dhoose a low carb, high protein life plan which eliminates all bread from your menu. I have lost 50 lbs on it, and control my BG levels without diabetes meds. I believe it may be valuable to you and it may lessen your symptoms and reduce (or eliminate?) your need for diabetes meds..But you have to be mentallly ready to do that. I wasn't mentally ready either for a number of years.

• chayogarza
    chayogarza April 10, 2012 at 1:55 pm   

hello James,help im back to trying to cut my carbs.im aware not all.its hard but im tryin.

• jayabee52
    jayabee52 April 14, 2012 at 11:18 pm   

I don't mean to say that one has to cut out ALL carbs, but I just cut out all grain-based carbs (from wheat, corn, rice, soybeans, rye, barley and so forth) That leaves me much more room to eat nutritionally packed carbs like non-starchy veggies (avoiding potatoes, peas. corn and using carrots only rarely) and also berry fruits (mostly). I get plenty of carbs that way,

• Tracy
    Tracy April 12, 2012 at 9:35 am   

what carbs are you having the most trouble cutting from your diet?
    for me is was breads and pasta…I finally had to just stop buying them altogether.

going on a low carb diet is actually what got me to rediscover fresh fruits and veggies - and the different ways to prepare them in raw, grilled, roasted forms. I had to keep telling myself, "hey there are a lot of good foods out there that ARE healthy and flavorful" I just needed to be bold and try new things…

what are YOUR challenges with carbs?
    hugs,
    tracy

• jayabee52
    jayabee52 April 27, 2012 at 4:29 am   

my challenges with carbs is consuming too much in the way of fruits. They're just SOOO good ! Especially like em frozen!

• DeeMd
    DeeMd October 28, 2011 at 8:31 am   

Sound like with all your excercise that you are gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. Just watch what you eat and continue your excercise. The only suggestion I have is try some diffirent form of excercise. That will use diffirent muscles. You may see a drop in your weight then…

• cmsvhj
    cmsvhj October 27, 2011 at 11:29 am   

Are you watching your diet as well? Diet is the main important thing you have to watch. Sometimes just incorporating the right things into your diet helps a lot. I haven't been able to exercise because I need my left hip replaced, which I am scheduled for on November 15th. I still have been able to lose weight without the exercise. I still eat things that I crave I just watch my intake of how much. If I am really craving a piece of cake, then I skip lunch and eat the cake. I have added green tea to my diet. It really helps attack the belly fat. It also boosts my metabolism, which my doctor said was pretty much non existant. There is a test that your doctor can do to see how good or bad your metabolism is. Try out some of these suggestions and see if any work for you, but keep up the exercising. Good luck!

• saber32
    saber32 October 30, 2011 at 7:33 am   

thanks I only eat at work hamburger plane or a quarter pounder plane no cheese too only onions on it and on the hamburger too or musterd on it

• cmsvhj
    cmsvhj October 30, 2011 at 10:00 am   

Sometimes obese people don't eat enough during the day to lose the weight. Eating is something you have to do or your body feels like it is starving and it will keep everything and store it as fat that you put into your body. You have to eat a certain amount of calories and at least three meals a day. You can make them small meals and eat like five times a day. You can look up on just about any site what your target weight is and how many calories you should be eating a day.